Clean Eating Whoopie PiesJul 15, 2016
Whoopie pies are fun. My kids were begging me for some these after seeing them at the grocery store! I could not in the right mind buy them though. They were loaded with sugar, HFCS, and artificial everything. So I hunted down a recipe and added some special ingredients as a special treat for the beach. They were a hit and gobbled up in the first two days!! I am not one of those parents that is super strict with my kids nutrition. I do let them indulge every once in awhile because I believe in moderation but, if I can make the recipe more nutritious I try to find a way. Warning that you are going to want to double or even triple the recipe! They are that good!
Kid tested and mother approved!
Ingredients for the cookie:
5/8 c dark, unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 c oat flour
1/4 c coconut flour
1/8 tsp salt
1 c Stevia in the Raw
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp baking powder
2/3 c unsweetened applesauce
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Mix together dry ingredients in a bowl, whisking to combine. Mix wet ingredients in a bowl, combining thoroughly with a whisk, handheld mixer or a stand mixer.
2. Slowly incorporate dry ingredients into wet ingredient mixture, whisking to combine. Your batter will be of a dough-like consistency and very sticky.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper OR use a non-stick baking sheet lightly spritzed with olive oil. Using a spoon, drop small dough balls onto a baking sheet.
4. Bake for approximately 15 minutes.
Ingredients for the filling:
1/4 c chilled, unsweetened, unflavored greek yogurt
1/4 c chilled coconut oil
2/3 c Stevia in the Raw
1 tsp vanilla extract (avoid HFCS)
1. Combine yogurt and coconut oil, whipping with a handheld or stand mixer for approximately 5 minutes.
2. With mixer set to low, slowly add Stevia and vanilla to mixture.
3. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
Whoopie Filling is approximately 1 TBSP.
Combine filling in the middle of 2 Whoopie Cookies and you have a clean Whoopie pie!
If you are looking to live a healthier life with nutritional whole foods, regular exercise, and want to approach life with a positive outlook, contact me! I’d love to help support you on your journey and connect with you on improving your life and reaching your health and wellness goal!